- Our friends from the City Centre BIA have shared their latest news from the Square, which we have dropped into our newsletter and website blog:
- The big news in the Square is the installation of the soil cells for the trees that will eventually be planted there. The foundation for the south-west and south-east cells are complete. See the two photos below.
- The electrical ductwork has been installed for the GFI outlets and the Pay & Display units near to the soil cells on Market Place.
- Work on the soil cell systems along Downie Street will take place next week. Soon after, excavation for the start of the parking area along Market Place will begin. New duct work and wiring will be installed for the existing street lights along Market Square as the old infrastructure was found to be in poor condition. As a note, the fourth soil cell to be installed along the Wellington St side of the square will be done last. This area currently is the only place with a remaining hard surface and the contractor needs it for access and maneuvering until they can build a stable base in the rest of the square.
- This installation utilizes a specialized technology called RootRain irrigation and aeration system. This is installed in order to assist water in getting to the root ball of the trees and to provide aeration under the soil. This helps trees planted in urban environments to survive.
- Check out the City website for the latest updates about the Square.https://www.stratfordcanada.ca/en/insidecityhall/Market-Square.asp
- Email Nancy NRoulston@StratfordCanada.Ca to be added to the City's distribution list.
The Return of the Slow Food Market!
- You will be happy to know that the Slow Food Market has secured an interim space, pending full completion of Stratford Market Square. Watch for the exact opening date in May and visit your favourite Slow Food vendors on Wellington Street, between Market Place and Soup Surreal at the corner of St. Patrick St.
Businesses on the Square
- Along the south side of Market Place, the new Market Square will feature 39 bollards, 31 of which the BIA has committed to raise the funds for. These bollards are now required since the curb originally planned for that location has been removed from the design, allowing the pavers to continue right to the store front.
- The CC/BIA http://www.stratfordcitycentre.ca/ has been very active to keep current information circulated to its members. Their fun swan logo We Dig Stratford provides helpful updates to merchants who have been impacted by road closures, construction noise, occasional water shut-offs.
City Centre BIA Annual General Meeting
6:30 p.m.Tuesday, March 28
Anticipated Construction Completion May 12, 2016
Construction Complete (Latest) June 23, 2017